Search This Blog

Sunday 25 September 2011

Arriving in Boras


Well I've been here for a few days now and have a couple of things to share. It initially seemed like a really small town but actually the residential areas stretch far and wide from the centre where I've spent most of my time. Today I went to see one of the towns few attractions, which was a giant statue of pinocchio. It was somewhat underwhelming but this may have had something to do with the fact that it was pissing with rain. And may I also add that he's not that giant either. I would say a medium statue, and certainly no David. I've also been to Gothenburg which was nice but I have to go back to explore more as I feel like we missed a lot. We spent a great deal of the day walking the entire distance of the pier, enjoying the sights of freight drivers scratching their arses waiting to board the ferry, to look at a statue that was on a tall pillar (it looked deceivingly close). This statue stands at Stenpiren (Stone Pier) and it was from here that hundreds of emigrants said their last goodbyes before setting off to a "New Sweden" in the United States in 1638. The granite 'Delaware Monument' marking Swedish emigration originally stood here but this was carted off to America from Gothenburg in the early part of the nineteenth century, and it wasn't until 1938 that sculptor Carl Milles cast a replacement in bronze that stands looking out to sea today.

No comments:

Post a Comment