Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 February 2011

Transitions Project Developments

Have had a total change of mind and direction on the 'Transition' front. Have decided to use hair for my project and to work into clothes, make new clothes etc. out of hair bought in afro-carribean shops and salons. I got my inspiration from a section in CONTRIBUTOR Magazine called Folklore Nouveau which was styled by Robert Rydberg.






I love this idea because it's fun and has the potential for being really different and exciting. Went down to the hair shop (you'll not likely to hear me say that often) with Alicia today and bought a combination of fake and human hair. The benefit of the fake hair being the price (£2.49 for quite a long section) and the fact that you can change the style of it easily by simply placing it in very hot water and plaiting it to get curls, for example, and blowdrying it. The real hair is more expensive but it does look better and less synthetic. It's actually quite depressing though how the price difference isn't huge and someone somewhere is being paid very little for their lovely hair. Anyway, it's not a big concern of mine for the hair to look real because its with a view to working into other fabrics and plaiting rather than actually styling to someone's real hair. The ladies in the hair shop thought it was for me and were trying to dissuade me from choosing such a dark colour, at which point I said I wasn't planning on attaching black and auburn coloured hair to my blonde hair and that it was for an art project. They were really helpful actually; they told me to using thread on the long synthetic hair while it was wet from the hot water then wring it out and dry as normal to create kinks. I even managed to find a possible model for the show. I know I'm being quite previous but I'm just excited! She did however seem slightly dubious when I pulled out my bag of hair...









No comments:

Post a Comment