Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 February 2011

Transitions project Moodboards

Ok so I was very skeptical about the idea of making a 'moodboard' and I had images of Carol Smillie pointlessly running about in late 90s episodes of Changing Rooms in my head. However...my ideas were thin on the ground and I saw the potential for this exercise generating a few more. It actually really helped me just put down anything I found relevant to the project and link these visual images. I am still keen on the idea of using everyday objects bought in Brixton and ones that represent Brixton in some way such as the teacups and turning these into materials. I also found in a charity shop in Brixton a vintage dress making pattern. I thought this would be really useful to use with unusual materials and fabrics bought from the area. There could be a wonderful juxtaposition between the very English and quite dated blouse being made out of bright African textiles such as the one I have placed the pattern next to in the photo. When we were looking around Brixton we found some quite shabby backstreets including one sort of courtyard called 'Clifton Mansions' surrounded by really rundown buildings that were surely occupied by squatters; I got this impression from the loud music coming from inside at about 3pm and double door (hard to explain, see photo). I've always been interested in getting ideas from what appears to be worthless junk as you can make it really beautiful if you deconstruct and reconstruct a little. Such as in the courtyard there were tyres filled up with earth and with a tiny plant poking out; this could be the starting point for a concept combining a material such as rubber which is totally non-biodegradable with something completely natural and compostable. I am really keen to use mainly ecologically beneficial materials. This links nicely with my object analysis project in which I am researching the work of Annie Sherburne who has her own range of recycled yarns, eco-annie. 







No comments:

Post a Comment